A Gray Academy education is a valuable investment in your child. Strong partnerships with our families, community and provincial government enable us to make Jewish day school education accessible to every family that wants a rich learning experience and nurturing Jewish community environment for their children.
What is the “Parental Contribution”?
As an independent school in Manitoba, Gray Academy is funded differently from public schools and Jewish day schools in many other parts of Canada:
- In our province, we are very fortunate to receive funding from the Government of Manitoba for each child in Kindergarten through Grade 12, which covers approximately 1/3 of the annual cost of instruction for each student;
- The Parental Contribution for each child covers approximately 2/3 of the cost per student.
Parental Contribution Kindergarten-Grade 12
For the 2024-2025 school year, the full Parental Contribution is:
- First and second child – $13,200 per child;
- Third and additional children – $8,650 per child.
Parental Contribution – Junior Kindergarten
Full Parental Contribution per child for our Junior Kindergarten programs for the 2023-2024 school year:
- Morning Only (8:40 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.) – $4,925
- Morning Plus Lunchtime (8:40 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) – $6,275
- Full Day (8:40 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.) – $10,975
Additional Costs for Families
A student fee of $150 per child ($75 for children in half-day JK) is due at the time of (re-)enrollment. This fee covers holiday programming, field trips, yearbooks, and other special activities and programs.
At Gray Academy, all students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 come to school each day in uniform. Families are responsible for purchasing uniforms directly from our supplier, Top Marks. Click here to learn more about our uniform requirements.
Each year, families are required to provide school supplies for each child. Every summer, the school provides families with a list, by grade, of required supplies. Families with children in Grades 1 through 6 can purchase their own or enjoy the convenience of ordering a Gray Academy school supply pack, ready on each child’s desk on the first day of school.
Devices are provided by the school to children in Grades 3-4. Students in grades 5 – 12 must provide their own device for in-class use, homework, and, if required, remote learning. A limited number of Chromebooks are available to borrow from the library.
Extended Hours and Supervision – OPTIONAL
We understand some of our working families may need to drop their children off a little earlier in the morning, pick them up a little later at the end of the day or rely on programming on days when there’s no school for students, including In-service days and Jewish holidays.
Gray Academy Supervision – click here for information about Gray Academy supervision programs for 2024-2025 (registration opens in the spring).
Kaufman Child Care Centre at Rady JCC or Gray Academy Supervision – click here to compare which option is best for your family.
Gray Academy and the Winnipeg Board of Jewish Education are committed to doing all we can to ensure we never turn away a family because of the inability to pay the full Parental Contribution.
With the invaluable support of our community, we offer a robust bursary assistance program, and we work with all families who need our support.
We are incredibly grateful for the annual allocation we receive from the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg, which supports a significant portion of the bursaries that make Jewish day school education accessible to more families in our community.
Our bursary program is also supported by donations, grants and proceeds from the Gray Academy Endowment Fund, held at the Jewish Foundation of Manitoba.
Eligible families can apply for:
- K-12 Bursary Assistance – support for local families enrolling children in Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- JK Bursary Assistance – assistance for families with high needs, specific to Junior Kindergarten.
- New to Canada Bursary Assistance – for those considering a move to Canada or are new to Canada in 2024.
- Additional Bursary Assistance – for special circumstances or financial hardship (e.g., loss of employment, illness, death in the family, etc.)
Click here to learn about all the supports available, including eligibility criteria and how to apply.
K-12 Parental Contribution Calculator
Families with a total annual household income less than $165,000 are eligible to apply for need-based Bursary Assistance for students in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Click here to use our quick and easy calculator to get a sense of what your total Parental Contribution could look like:
Kindergarten-Grade 12 – in accordance with the policies outlined by the Canada Revenue Agency, the Parental Contribution for students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 may qualify as a charitable donation on your Canadian income tax return.
Junior Kindergarten and Supervision – fees for Junior Kindergarten, as well as our Extended Hours and Supervision Programs (before and after school; holiday and in-service programs) for students in JK – Grade 6 may qualify as child care expenses on your Canadian income tax return.
Talk to an expert – Each family’s circumstances are unique. Please consult a tax professional for specific details and deduction information for your family.
Gray Academy is pleased to provide a Finance Handbook to help families understand their Parental Contribution, available financial supports, the school’s financial policies and more. The Handbook is designed to be a useful resource as you apply, re-enroll and plan for your child’s educational journey at Gray Academy.
In the handbook, you will find:
- an overview of Gray Academy’s financial policies and procedures
- information about the Parental Contribution for each student
- deposits and student fees
- other grade-specific expenses you may need to consider, such as Shabbatons/Spirit Weekends, Retreats, camp overnights, etc.
If you have read through the Handbook and still have questions related to financial matters, you are welcome to reach out anytime to our Finance Department: email@example.com.