Gray Academy is a warm and welcoming school community. We welcome you to explore our school, along with our application and admissions processes. Getting to know your child and your family is always the most important first step.
Application and Admission to Early Years
Step 1: Explore
- Attend an Open House or schedule an appointment to meet with our Admissions Department, so we can get to know your family and you can learn about our Early Years programs.
- Visit the school on one of our Welcome Wednesdays, an opportunity for parents to tour Gray Academy and see Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten learning in action during a school day.
Step 2: Apply for Admission
- Once we determine that Gray Academy is a great fit for your family, we will provide you with everything you need to apply for admission.
- Space in our Early Years classes is limited and available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- We strongly encourage families to apply early to secure a spot and to take advantage of the full range of programs for new incoming Early Years students and families from May to September.
- Families can submit their online application, starting February 13, 2023. Click here for more Admissions dates and deadlines.
- A non-refundable deposit and student fee of $520 per student ($460 for half-day Junior Kindergarten) is due at the time of application. This amount is applied to your Parental Contribution for next year.
- We will notify you by email when your child’s application has been processed, which usually takes about 10 school days.
Step 3: Submit your child’s Early Years Student Profile
- Once your application, deposit and student fee have been processed, we will have you complete your child’s Early Years Student Profile.
- The Student Profile includes detailed questions about developmental milestones, previous care and/or learning experiences and more. The Profile is an important tool for our Early Years team to support your child’s transition to Gray Academy.
- If your child has ever been enrolled in an education or care program, we will need your permission to contact the facility for additional information about your child.
- It takes approximately four weeks to process your child’s Student Profile.
Step 4: Bring your child to school for a play visit
- Once we have processed your child’s Student Profile fully, you will receive an invitation to bring your child to the school for a 20-minute play visit.
- This visit provides another important opportunity for our Early Years team to prepare for your child’s transition.
Step 5: Acceptance!
- Within two weeks of your child’s play visit at school, we will notify you officially, in writing, of your child’s acceptance to Gray Academy.
- If you need extended hours supervision (before and after school, during in-service days, etc.), we will encourage you to register right away, as spaces are limited. You can click here now to see Supervision information for the current school year (2022-2023). Information for the 2023-2024 school year will be available in the spring.
Step 6: Get to know your new school
- In late April, our Admissions department will provide you with dates for fun-filled transition events taking place between May and September for new Early Years families.
- These events will include an Early Years Parent Orientation, as well as opportunities for you and your child to become familiar with your new school, get to know future classmates and meet other Early Years families.
Application and Admissions for Elementary and High School
- The most important first step is to get in touch with our Director of Admissions, Judi Price-Rosen.
- Judi will meet with you, learn about your family and thoroughly explain our programs.
- Once we determine that Gray Academy is a great fit for your family, Judi will provide you with everything you need to apply.
- Applications for enrollment open in late February each year.
- If you choose to apply, we will review your application and supporting documentation.
- Your child will meet with the principal and other supporting staff.
- If your child is accepted, Judi will confirm formally, in writing, and discuss next steps for the coming school year.
Frequently Asked Questions: Application and Admissions
What information will I need to apply to Gray Academy?
- your child’s Manitoba Health and personal registration number, if you are a Manitoba resident;
- an official identification document for your child, such as a birth certificate or the photo page of a passport;
- for students applying to Grades 2-8, their most recent report card(s);
- for students applying to Grades 9-12, their most recent report card(s) and the final report card from the 2020-2021 school year.
What type of payment is required when I apply?
- Your application for admission is not considered complete until we receive the non-refundable $400 deposit and $120 student fee ($60 for half-day Junior Kindergarten) for each child.
- Your deposit is put toward your Parental Contribution for each child.
What is the cost of school?
- You can view details now on the Parental Contribution for the 2022-2023 school year.
- This information will be updated for 2023-2024 in the new year.
Do you offer extended hours?
- For students in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 6, we are pleased to provide optional supervision programs before the school day starts, after school, on selected Jewish holidays and supervision programs.
- The complete schedule for Gray Academy Supervision programs for 2023-2024 will be available in the spring.
- If your family needs a more complete childcare option, including longer hours and care during school breaks (winter, Passover and summer), you can also check out the Kaufman Child Care Centre at Rady JCC.
- You can click here to see a comparison of both programs and determine which option is best for your family.
I am very interested in Jewish day school, but I have finance-related questions.
- Jewish day school is a significant, long-term investment in your child’s education and lifelong connection to Jewish community.
- Gray Academy and the Winnipeg Board of Jewish Education are committed to ensuring no family is ever turned away because of an inability to cover the full Parental Contribution.
- We are always here to answer your questions and provide information on Bursary Assistance to all families upon acceptance to Gray Academy.
Thank you for your interest in Gray Academy
We look forward to meeting you!